View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
rgilfert

Default Thanks for all your recommendations!

Lots of good stuff here ...thank you! From reading everyone's posts it seems like my single biggest mistake was heading directly into the waves versus taking them at an angle. Actually, the thought of pursuing more of a "tacking" strategy crossed mind but at the time I wasn't sure whether it would help or hurt. Now, from your input, I know that it would have helped and I will definitely take the waves at more of an angle in the future. It makes complete sense!
I've been boating on Winnipesaukee most of my life. When I was a kid, I used to LOVE to go out into the Broads in rough weather and beat the H out of my Grandfather's boat. However when you're young you're invincible (at least you are in your own mind). Now that I'm an old goat I realize that bad things do, in fact, happen and thus I've become MUCH less of a dare devil! This feeling was amplified by the fact that I could see concern/fear in my wife's eyes (she's not a strong swimmer) and all of these things made for a bad boating experience!
A couple of other specific responses:
1) RG - When we left the island late in the morning last Sunday (9/23) it was once again very windy (although not quite as bad as the previous Sunday)...and we did exactly what you suggested. We headed south and went with the waves and then stayed in the shelter of the Rattlesnake peninsula as well as Treasure, Cub, and Sleeper Islands on our way to WAM. Going that direction was infinitely better!
2) Baja Guy - We absolutely agree with your PFD suggestion. In the wake of this experience we both agreed that we are going to buy a couple "quality" PFDs and actually start wearing them in the boat when it is really rough.
3) Slickcraft - Now I know that your comments regarding using a small bowrider as your sole "vehicle" when living on an island is not the best choice is true. Totally agree! Both my wife and I frequently talked this summer about what we type of boat we want as our next boat and we're in complete agreement with your comments/suggestions.
Once again....thanks to all for your input!

Rog
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote