Thread: Lake Riding
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Why is it when I register my car or motorcycle, I can drive in any state. But if you register a boat or snowmobile you have to most likely register in any other state you wish to ride. Does not seem fair to me.
Ever since New Hampshire did away with the small steel motorboat plates that were similar to a small car license plate in about 1988, NH entered into the nationwide federal reciprocity agreement so boaters from Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Quibec, and all other states and provinces can go boating in NH for the first 30-days without reregistering, or something like this!

With the old small steel plates, someone from Massachusetts needed to have a NH plate, but this is no longer the case as of about 1988. Something to do with receiving federal money and 50-state motorboat reciprocity. Just like prior to 1986, trucks needed a seperate registration sticker for each of the 50-states along with multiple drivers licenses, and now they just need the one home state plate, and only one drivers license.

So, now that you know this, you can go trailer your Lake Winnipesaukee NH boat, about two hours time, down to the free-to-use Magazine Beach boat launch in Cambridge on the Charles River and boat out to Boston Harbor via the free-to-use, Charles River boat lock system for some salt water fishing!