View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #32
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Yeah ain't that the truth - I mean really haven't seen enough of Geraldo Rivera standing out on a beach in the middle of a hurricane reporting the wind is bad and the tide is high? NO - REALLY? Shocker! These meat heads go out there and tell us live that nobody should be out there doing what it is that they are doing! Enough already....!

It's great to read what you folks post here.
Same here! My favorite part of this lakes region weather forum is reading the opinions of other forecasters like R2B and Rose, and the observations everyone posts as the storm is happening and after it happened. And the pictures everyone posts!

Now about those hysterical reports from within the storm: As we speak, journalism classes in universities are debating the issue of "responsible reporting." The original intent of having a reporter in the storm (anyone remember WBZ-TV's Shelby Scott?) is to let people know it's not a good time to venture out. True journalism is meant to give you information that you can evaluate for yourself in making your own decisions, or to continuously question your elected officials to hold them accountable, in order that the freedom of society is maintained.

Everyone loved Shelby Scott and many people felt bad for her, for always getting the storm assignments. The generation that grew up with her, and reporters like her in other cities, has now decided that we need "not one, but FOUR Shelby Scotts," to provide complete coverage. And some of the things they do to get our attention IS the subject of debate in those journalism classes.

After all, we see lots of people ignore "road closed" barricades only to discover their purpose the hard way. But the reporters were hip deep in the raging floodwaters. So why shouldn't the viewer be, also? What the people don't see as often are the outtakes, in which the reporter gets swept away by the weather. For lots of that, you have to go to YouTube.

This morning I saw reports of the season's first snow in southern New England, with a lengthy live report from the highway: "Behind me you can see the DUSTING of snow on the grass in the median..." If I remember correctly, Shelby Scott didn't start doing her snowstorm reports until the first actual snowstorm. The first dusting usually became Jack & Liz's line to introduce Brucey with the weather. "Well, Bruce is here with the weather - seems we had a dusting of snow this morning. Any more on the way?"

But that was then, and this is now: A dusting of snow gets all four storm reporters out there.

I agree with the previous post: Just the fact that we are discussing weather-related issues instead of actual weather means that what we really need is some actual weather around here. Preferably the kind that gets us all talking. Like deep snow!
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post: