View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdawgfan View Post
I hate to do it, but I think it's time for me to sell my 1998 23' Cobalt bow rider. It's the only boat I've ever owned so I have no experience selling one, and I'm not getting another so I can't use it as a trade.

I'd really appreciate any advice on the process, including how to maximize my selling price, best way to sell, etc.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
I only buy used "cream-puff" boats and have no problem spending more on a boat that was lovingly cared for and I continue that care. I would only buy a boat that showed pride of ownership.

Here's what I'd do if I were selling mine:

Make sure it operates perfectly.
Make it spotless and shiny.
Clean areas that are normally hidden from view.
Touch up the paint on the drive.
Clean up any nicks on the prop(s).
Change the oil in the engine so that a dipstick pull reveals fresh oil.
Make sure all fluids are topped up and clean looking.
Address any little things like loose screws, missing snaps, rattles, blown light bulbs, frayed whipping on dock lines, etc.
Include any miscellaneous stuff that you can, like anchors, PFDs, docklines, spare trailer tire etc.
Detail the trailer and make sure it's in perfect operating condition as well.

Show off all the cool storage nooks and quality build techniques that Cobalts are known for. People love that kind of stuff.

Take the serious potential buyers for a test ride and focus on the fun, but also set a good example by not beating on the engine until it's fully warmed up and by being careful to follow all the navigational laws. If you include an "unscheduled" stop at some town docks for a quick bite, you'll go a long way toward selling the lifestyle and assuming the boat is nice, THAT will probably seal the deal.

Good luck!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote