View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
corollaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
In my neighborhood (mobile home park in Belmont) abandoned cats have been a problem for years. Sadly it happens too often that cruel pet owners abandon their cats and they choose a residential area in hopes that it will find a new home. In my opinion, it is simply unacceptable to put an animal that was raised as a pet out into the wild or on the street to fend for itself. It also forces folks in the neighborhood to make a choice: deal with the problem or turn a blind eye to the problem.

Before I get too far down the "what's wrong with people?!?" road... Here's my story: A few weeks ago neighbors and my family began noticing a strange cat hanging around (beautiful multicolored cat). There was evidence that someone had abandoned a cat. Some said it looked pregnant. My wife and daughter tried putting food out in an attempt to find the cat, get close enough to catch it and find a home for her before she delivered her litter. We have spoken with some of our neighbors to see it was someone's pet but it seems likely that we are dealing with another abandoned cat.

In recent days, we've seen her more often and she she appears frightened and yes, very pregnant. A few times we tried to approach her but she runs away. We placed a box lined with towels near the food so she could choose to sleep in it on these chilly nights. Today I saw her, grabbed some food, headed outside and attempted to get hold of her. She was actually headed towards me but got spooked and went under my shed. My wife came out to help and she got very close too but the timid cat got spooked again.

In the process of trying to find this cat, we found another (an orange male) which immediately got us wondering: "where did this cat come from?". The orange male is super friendly and I cannot rule out that it is a neighbors pet but he sure was hungry (and thirsty)! We placed another box outside and even put some cardboard under the shed for the cats.

We managed to get a few pictures so we can show folks and ask "do you know who owns these cats?". I guess that's our next step. We will continue to provide food (and shelter) while attempting to find out for sure if we're dealing with abandoned cats. My daughter is certain that she can find homes for them if we can manage to catch them witch is good because the NH Humane Society in Laconia will not take them (though we will check with them to see if someone described these cats while searching for their pet). We already have two cats and a dog so taking them in isn't really an option.

Here are the pictures - we named the male Butternut and the female Bunny (if you saw the way she hops through the woods you'd know why).

The orange one looks like my cat, but my cat is home with me right now.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote