View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #102
birchhaven

Default off topic

Sorry for getting off topic.
I have fun at bike week, but the idea that it is only one week so it does not effect the area year round, is an idea not followed through.
Too many properties base there income on that one week and the rest of the year are vacant or worse. In a small city economy it is far better to have a more consistent, sustainable year round operation occupy a parcel than it is to have a one week blast of income. There is no need for many property owners to "try". In my view and many others, if bike week never existed the entire city would be in a different place right now. So if bike week ended, slowly all those business owners would need to be productive with there properties, creating jobs, nicer facilities, better neighborhoods, etc.
This all comes back to the wide open saloon. I would be willing to bet that the owner may eventually tear down the building and leave it as a gravel lot so it can be turned in to a tent city during bike week and they will make enough money to satisfy them. With no bike week, they would need to actually do something with the property, create some business, that is sustainable, or sell it to someone who would do something, and I am willing to bet the property would be worth more in the "no bike week" situation. JMHO

Last edited by birchhaven; 04-11-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote