View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Stay away from Amerigas.

Energy North pulled a fast one one year. They sent out technicians in the Summer to "check" all furnaces. Came up with a "report" that stated that my home furnace was too old and needed replacement. Used words such as "safety" and such. Energy North has since stopped that practice. But how many were conned into a new furnace.
That was 10 years ago and that same furnace is still running properly with zero breakdowns.

Rymes offered me a set price if I switched companies. Well after switching tanks - the next delivery - the price went way up. So much for Rymes.

Prices of propane. All companies have all sorts of tiers. Goes by usage.

Presently, I have Eastern. For the past few years Eastern has kept prices very competitive.

There is also a cooperative that you can buy into. Those that use it seem to love it.

You don't state how old your furnace is. The newer ones use some sort of igniting feature. Mine has a Silicon Carbide Igniter. This type will deteriorate with time and moisture. I replace my igniter every year.
The old furnaces had a standing pilot. On that one I changed the thermocouple every 3 years. Basically the only part that can go bad on the older standing pilot furnaces.

And note: One time decades ago (different home) - I got no heat.
Repair person came and checked everything. Stated that I needed a new furnace. Checked and checked and checked. I was there with repair person.
Going to come the next day and install a new furnace for $3,000 the next day.

But before repair person left I (me) asked if he could check the thermostat. He did. The thermostat was defective. Replaced the thermostat and furnace runs fine.
Go figure.

I assume all are honest and knowledgeable. Do you?
Why stay away from Amerigas service, price?? Suissevale usually gets a "group rate" from them and it's been pretty competitive in the past. Last winter I called a few places (some mentioned in this thread) and nobody could touch the rate my family was paying through the assoc. At the time I'm talking a big difference not a couple pennies...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote