View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #45
laker06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam View Post
OUCH - we are in a lot of trouble if today's young adult thinks because I own a boat I can spare a couple bucks for his/her college textbooks!!

KJBathe says it once and I'll restate because it's important...

You don't deserve a tip just because you're working at a gas fill up on the lake, it's a bonus, a perk, and it's earned!

Good conversation while filling up - or a piece of advice like, "I heard there was a lot of traffic around the Braun Bay sandbar - you should try anchoring off Timber Is., it's pretty quiet in comparison." or "I see you have a tube - we always tube in Blackey's Cove, it's never crowded and it's a great spot for kids." etc...

BTW - I always tip at the gas docks when I feel the kids have earned it - and most of the time the guys and girls do!
I think both you and kjbathe are taking my post out of context. I never said that I deserve a tip just for standing out on a dock. Nor did I say that because you can afford a boat I should automatically receive a tip. All I was trying to say is that any extra money is GREATLY APPRECIATED by those of us who work on the gas docks. From my perspective, gas attendants are generally courteous, thoughtful, and willing to give you a helping hand when docking, so why not give them a dollar or two? To make my point even more clear, when a gas attendant does do all of the aforementioned things and does them well, will a couple more dollars added to your $100+ gas bill really hurt? In no way does that mean that because you can afford the tip I should receive it. Tipping is supposed to be an incentive to go that extra step when providing service to a customer, so when we do go that extra step I think that someone who has a boat and fills it up can afford the tip.
laker06 is offline   Reply With Quote