View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #63
Merrymeeting

Resurrecting this post in light of a conversation with my son earlier this week.

In the heat of last weekend, he and the other dock hands pumped over 2200 gallons of boat fuel on Saturday. One person received a small tip.

Clearly tipping at the gas dock is not widespread, certainly not as much as might be indicated in this thread.

Anticpating some of the comments that might be made on this,
  • None of the kids expect the tips or were complaining about it. I asked.
  • Despite some of the earlier notes to the contrary, this is minimum wage work. I know my son realizes he's lucky to be employed in this economy.
  • These kids do go out of their way to provide a high level of service. Helping with docking, meeting all with a pleasant greeting, caring well for repeat customers, etc.
  • They are hard working kids. In my son's case, to help him continue with his deans list accomplishments at school.
I recognize that we are in tough times. But I personally think it is sad that so few would think of tipping a dock hand. It is a lower-paid, service job, similar to a doorman or taxi driver. Why would the latter qualify and not the former?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote