View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #34
Crusty

Default Fresh Seafood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
If one wants fresh seafood, you will get it yourself. My Dad had a seafood business back in the 60's. He would leave at 5 AM in the morning and head to Boston to the fish market to buy the seafood he needs for the day. Often he would run out of one item during the day. I guess the 5am to 10pm everyday taken its toll, and when he switch to a commercial delivery from Boston, quality went down and so did his business. Seems like the delivery trucks are not cold enough and often time, instead of throwing away yesterday's stock, they will label them as fresh and deliver the next day.
Years ago, I had a college roommate from Maine. He was always griping about the lack of fresh seafood in the midwest (this was 40+ years ago). Anyway, as we approached break, he constantly regaled us with tales of the fresh scrod, cooked to perfection, that he would soon be enjoying.

As luck would have it, a big storm prevented his plane from making it all the way to Maine, and he found himself stranded in Boston. Although it wasn't home, he figured that Boston had to have good seafood.

With this thought in mind he walked up to a police officer and asked "Pardon me officer, but can you tell me where I can get scrod"? The officer scratched his head and replied "A lot of out-of-towners ask me that... but this is the first time anyone's asked using the pluperfect subjunctive."
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote