Thread: New to Boating
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #51
Rich

BMAB,

Having done what you're thinking of doing just a couple of years ago, I'll also through in my thoughts.

Before we started, I had always wanted to get back into boating (I spent many weekends on a boat as a teenager). A couple of years ago we got an older 27 ft boat, that just the two of us slept on.

We spend EVERY weekend on the boat, renting a slip at one of the 'condo' slips in Gilford. We fell in love with the experience, but the Ms. got tired of crawling under things to get to the berth, and crawling back out if needed in the middle of the night.

So we upgraded to a 38 ft, newer (not new, but much newer) boat the following year. Now the experience is wonderful for both of us. The new boat has AC and HEAT (which we never thought we needed it until we have it).

The boat stays at the dock, so we just drive up and spend the weekends. IF this is what you want to do, don't think of trailering, it's just too much work. You'll spend half a day (on each end of the weekend) hauling the boat back and forth. So just rent a slip and leave the boat in all summer.

When you go shopping for your boat, get into and out of the sleeping berth a few times, with BOTH of you in the berth. Now imagine doing that with four of you on board. Even though our first boat had a wide beam (by 27ft standards, our beam was 9' 6"), we found that even with just two of us, we were always in each other's way when we were below deck. With the larger boat, we don't have this issue at all. Now imagine the four of you.

Also, there were days on the lake when I wouldn't want to be out in something much smaller than the 27' boat. Yes you could be out there, but it wouldn't be much fun.

Of course cost is a big deal as you go up in the size of the boat, so take your comfort into account, try to get something that will fit your family.

As JRC offered, you're also welcome to come by my boat and check it out if we ever see the ice melt this year (we're at the same club in Gilford).

Good luck with your choice and have fun shopping!

Oh, if you don't have it yet, take a boating class and get your NH boating 'licence', don't wait until the spring, or until after you find your boat as it will be too late then! You'll need it either way. And have your wife join you in the class so you can both have your license!