View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #18
drifter

Default two cents

The state does still allow for 14 day temporary certificates. Generally used for folks renting. it is 25 questions multiple choice questions and you have to get 20 out of 25 correct in 25 minutes. if you fail you cannot take the test for another 24 hours (literally), and you can only do this once a calendar year. there are presently about 18 places in the state that provide the temprary test as agents for the state. Most businesses that have rental such as Anchor, Channel, Meredith Marina, Shep Brown's etc. do have it as a service. Some charge a fee and some will apply the fee towards your rental if you rent from them best to call ahead. And it is best to study the states boating safety guide before hand as many folks, even those with boating experience don't pass. I always tell folks the questions are written by the same folks who make up the SAT's and to read the questions very carefully as they are written to lead you to the wrong answer!
As for your PWC scenario, Anyone operating a vessel with more than a 25 horsepower engine is required to have a state approved certificate (issued by a state agency with the NASBLA emblem on it.) I personally wouldn't risk haveing family or friends stopped and ticketed or putting someone on a bullet with no brakes without some training
I've been boating since I was 14 (and that was a long time ago) and still picked up a couple of pointers when I took the course.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote