View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Fishy Cover

Default We use traps

We have had both red squirrels and mice in our attic. The squirrels bring in acorns and the mice try to eat them. Acorns are too big for the mice to grasp and what happens is that the mice roll the acorns, which sounds like a rattle on our T&G ceilings. I have never seen this but that's my theory, supported by the fact that mice are nocturnal and red squirrels are diurnal. The rolling noise is not very loud but it is persistent and as annoying as a chinese water torture when we are trying to sleep.

We use a small Hav-A-Heart trap and usually catch one or two squirrels each autumn and relocate them to a friendly neighboring town. A regular old fashioned mouse trap takes care of the mice.

In both cases we find peanut butter to be the best bait. I smear it on top of and under the treadle to insure that the squirrels move the treadle enough to trigger the trip mechanism.

I have tried to eliminate entry points for several years without success. When I find and patch one they must open another.

Good luck

Last edited by Fishy Cover; 09-27-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote