Thread: Charities
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....According to the 50-state list from 2004 www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0923050.html which quantifies each individual state, New Hampshire has a very high "having rank", but a very low "giving rank", and has the lowest "rank relation" at a -39. ...
From the link above:
Quote:
New Hampshire, on the other hand, is ranked last in generosity. Its Average Adjusted Gross Income is $49,720 and the average charitable contribution is $2,312.
I wonder where they got that number.
Does that include the family that has 2 boxes of cereal and finds the people next door has none so they give one to their neighbor? Does it include the person that sees a neighbors children wearing worn out sneakers in the snow and goes and buys them boots? Does that include the good folks at Forum Fest that buy raffle tickets (and those that donate items to raffle) so that winnipesaukee.com can donate to a local charity?

I am also reminded of my cousin that plowed snow to pay for his puckup truck while he was in High School and after one bad storm went and plowed the driveway and shoveled the walk of an elderly neighbor up the street. The neighbor called my Aunt and was upset because she didn't ask to have the driveway plowed because she could not afford to pay my cousin. My cousin said he didn't want to be paid but she needed her driveway cleared and walk shoveled so Meal on Wheels could deliver. He said "No big deal, that is just what people do". I saw that attitude a lot in New Hampshire.

I don't recall that in any of those cases there was someone "keeping score".