Thread: Kimball Castle
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Sad story

With the amount of time, effort and money put into building the castle, it will be demolish for peanuts.

Shortly after the last heir died, the trust had an open house so that folks can see what will go up for auction. I remember all the copper applicances and pipes in the kitchen, the beautiful fireplace, the huge dining room table and the spectacular view from the second floor balcony. The carpentry and furniture were outstanding.

My dad attended the auction, he was surprised how low the bids were, almost a fire sale. Later, what was left everything was practically given away. My uncle gained a beautiful oak bar hutch made in Germany. It had huge mirrors and a granite counter top. He had to disassemble the hutch to move it.

There was a local contractor who tried very hard to convince the trust to grant him a 60 year lease on the castle. He wanted to restore the castle and make it his private residence. I don't know the whole story behind this but the trust refused to allow anyone to live in the castle, despite live in caretakers in the abutting cottage.

The trust failed to secure the building. Several teen parties, vandalism etc practically destroyed the interior.

Several concerned parties tried to secure and or restore the building and could not do so for one reason or the other. It is very sad.