View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #18
chasedawg

Default Huggins hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
My Dad, who went on a blood thinner in June 2016, bumped his head on 8/12 while he was staying at our camp in Alton Bay for the summer. He complained after lunch of a headache, and we arrived on that Friday afternoon at Huggins ER around 3 pm. He checked himself in at admissions and Dr. Dan Steele the ER doc took his history and immediately sent him for a CAT scan. There was intracranial bleeding and Dr. Steele didn't waste time trying to get Dad transferred for neurosurgery to either Portsmouth or Maine Medical in Portland. Portsmouth couldn't take him, and the weather wasn't good for an airlift, so Dr. Steele made arrangements for transfer by ambulance. Dad lost consciousness and to ensure no breathing problems en route to Portland, Dr. Steele had Dad intubated and put on a portable respirator. Thank goodness that Dr. Steele knew the severity of the situation and acted fast! Dad arrived at Maine Medical late that night and after a 2nd CAT scan was immediately scheduled for surgery to start about midnight. By 3 am he was in the ICU and made such a fast recovery that he was sitting up and eating soup at 5 pm Saturday evening! He was transferred to a regular room on Monday (the ICU nurse said she never saw anyone of any age rebound that quickly) especially someone who is 87! Dad was discharged on Wed. and then spent 9 days back at Huggins in their Rehab Unit. I can't say enough good things about the great room, the terrific therapists and nurses during his stay in Rehab. I am so thankful to Dr. Steele and to the therapists who got him back on his feet. The excellent neurosurgeon in Portland said another hour and it would have been too late, so Dr. Steele was spot on in getting him to Maine Medical ASAP. Dad is back in NJ, driving again and except for his barely visible scar, he is his old self again.

We can't say enough about the great experiences we have had with Huggins Hospital.
The ER staff saved our sons life with quick diagnostic elevation. It was quickly determined via MIR scan that he had internal bleeding. The only solution was to Heli him to the closest and best Medical center. We preferred Mass General because his Mother worked at Mass Gen for 30 years in ICU. They overruled us to say that MASS GEN by Heli was to far away.
He arrived by Heli at Maine Medical Center. The Director of Trauma Care upon landing quickly called for ICU staff to admit into surgery. This was 12:01 Am. He was operated on has recovered. The reason I bring this horrible situation forward is I feel I want to exploit the virtues of Huggins Hospital. If it wasn't for their quick evaluation even when they had many Bike Week accidents consuming the all the Doctors and nursing staff our Son would not have made it without their quick response and evaluation.
I'm sure there are all kinds of situations to criticize any hospital. Even after 30 years at MASS GENERAL in the ICU there were some situations.
But for determining quick professional diagnostic to life situations and making the right call we stand behind Huggins Hospital.
For those who want to criticize any institution make sure you have the correct facts and within current management and situations. Those that state your experience is years ago have no value.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post: