View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
IslandRadio

Question Dock woes - need to replace - Wood or Aluminum? Which is better/more cost effective?

We've got 2 docks (in different locations - one is a "safe dock" in a cove and the other is our regular dock).

The "regular" dock is of all wood construction, and I remove the planking and pull the frame out of the water for the winter using a tree mounted winch.

This seems to work very well, however the dock is showing its age and it is only a matter of time before I have to replace it.

The other dock - the safe dock - is constructed from big oak piers (3 sets) driven into the lake bottom, which support the dock frame on cross pieces(wood). Note - all of this was here when we bought the cottage.

During the first year of the dock's life, the end piers were pushed out by the ice and the next set was pushed over (on an angle) quite a bit. The previous owner had Winnipesaukee Marine come and pound the 2 remaining sets of piers back in, and used 4x4s to reconstruct the remaining end of the dock support system. The 4x4s are removed in winter, and the end 20 feet or so of the dock is supported by cables tied back to the piers to prevent it from breaking off.

This past winter, the end most set of piers (about 20 feet from shore) was pushed over at a good 45 degree angle, and almost popped out. I pulled them back to vertical with a come-along, but I fear this winter will be the last for these. They are way up out of the bottom from where they should be.

I suppose I could have the piers driven back in by Winnipesaukee Marine and maybe get another winter out of it..... don't know how much that might cost - haven't called them yet!

But, I think the ultimate solution here is to construct a "proper", removable (crank up) dock that can be taken out for the winter.

I see a lot of aluminum docks out there, and they look pretty strong, and I would guess, a lot lighter to crank up for wintering.

How do these aluminum docks work out? Are they very expensive? Any pros/cons over wood construction?

Any advise about what to do, particularly with the safe dock, and any experiences or advise with respect aluminum docks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote