Thread: Hummingbirds
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 11:38 AM   #39
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegirl
we have a woodpecker that thinks our house is his tree
There are most likely two possibilities-

1- You have some sort of bug infestation, and the woodpecker is hungry . In which case, you owe the woodpecker a debt of gratitude as the problem might otherwise go undetected for years, and repairing wood boring insect damage is not cheap.

2- The woodpecker is hammering for territorial reasons. They tend to gravitate towards whatever makes the loudest noise when they hammer on it. (I thought that it was only the 'Big Boaters' who 'need to draw attention to themselves'. See, it's instinct! It's a natural thing! ) (I'm only repeating what I read on the forum, of course.)

To stop the woodpeckers, you can use the same kinds of things that people use to stop seagulls and other birds- streamers, those fake owls, an old CD on a string will spin around and reflect, or even (I have heard) a mirror placed where they peck the most.

If the pecking is one big hole, (and especially if it is not on wood, but metal, which is very noisy), that's more likely to be a territory thing. If the holes are smaller, but spaced closely together, you have a bug problem, and you want to adress it asap.

If you google woodpecker + damage + house, I'm sure you will find plenty of info.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote