View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Chaselady

Default Frozen septic system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
I have been paranoid that this would be an issue on the island and found this heater. We haven't had any issue recently so we did not buy it. But this looked easy to install without digging.

http://www.septicheater.com/index.html
I want to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions. Let me give you an update to what we learned today. Both the installer and Lamprey Septic Service showed up this morning to try and determine the problem. Lamprey was very responsive and informative This is what we learned. Last October we had a new black top drive way installed and was of course installed over the line going from the septic tank to distribution box. Couple of things could have happened. The black top helped conduct the cold temperatures. The line could have a slight sag holding a small amount of water as the water flows back to the septic tank after being pumped up to the leach field. Each time it keep adding more ice restricting the flow. Remember this driveway was installed in October and now it just froze. Everything else was working properly, pump, weep hole, distribution box and leach field.
I do plan looking into this septic heater that was in Webbsatwinni post. Thank you vey much. Right now we put layers of hay and used a back hoe to put snow on top of the hay.. Concern would be that the hay now holds the cold in and the pipe will continue to freeze. Today was a good day taking showers and being able to use water again.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post: