Thread: Ropeswings
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #48
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
So let's say the kid that got hurt and is now suing the town was using the rope swing, even though we can't tell from the article whether he was or not. Your statement above implies that kids should be able to do stuff like that and have fun, just like we did when we were kids. I take it that you wouldn't feel the kid was being an idiot or irresponsible just for using the rope swing. Now let's say that as soon as the kid let go of the rope and landed in the water, another kid grabbed the rope, swung out and let go right on top of the first kid before he had a chance to swim out of the way, landing on the first kid and seriously injuring him. Is the first kid an idiot or irresponsible in any way for getting hurt?

Now let's say that the town had been informed on several prior occasions that kids using the rope swing at this public swimming hole had a history of acting recklessly in this manner, but did nothing to stop it. Maybe this is the first time the kid that got hurt had ever been to this swimming hole, and neither he nor his family had heard about any prior dangerous practices. Based on the above account that may or may not be true, is the kid that got hurt an idiot or irresponsible?

The point is, based on the facts presented in the linked article, we just don't know. Folks read the posts here, maybe read the article (and not very carefully), and jump to the conclusion that the kid's family is sue happy, trying to rip-off the town for something that was the kid's fault. Before you jump to a conclusion, step back, consider what you know and don't know, and realize that every day people get hurt and incur damages because of the actions/inactions/negligence of someone else, through no fault of their own. Not every law suit is a plaintiff looking for an undeserved big pay day.
:Is the first kid an idiot or irresponsible in any way for getting hurt?"

I would say thats kids being kids, exactly like we did as kids, so I should sue someone because of it?

The fact is the entire country is sue happy. I wish I became a lawyer instead of an engineer, because I see some hilarious lawsuits everywhere now. I heard recently a kid got bit by a snake at animal kingdom and the grandmother died, so the families suing. Sad world, maybe I should start sueing people like everyone else and buy a nicer boat.

I was sued by a drunk driver who didn't have a drivers licence who rear ended me while I was stopped at a red light. Like I really wanted to spend my hard earned money to go to court over that nonsense? Pathetic what people try to get away with, I didn't say this kids family was sue happy. But lets get serious, the average age on this forum was what like over 55? for that many years nobody had problems doing these activities and now all of a sudden everyone is having problems with? Who hasn't jumped off of a rope swing and hurt them selves? I know I surely have because they are dangerous, everyone knows that! youtube rope swings and I bet you you'll find a ton of videos of people smashing into the ground.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote