View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Raising money for the state could be done the same way the federal gov does it. By using those green steel, cash-money, deposit tubes at boat launches. The U S Forest Service charges three dollars per day to park at a trail head parking lot in the White Mt National Forest, and the Forest Service just built a 2 1/2 mil dollar new headquarters building at Exit 27, so those three dollar payments must have been a-piling up.

By charging all boaters who use the ramps five bucks, launch or retrieve- 5 bucks in & out, either way-ten dollars total, into a green steel, state or town pay tube, it will eliminate paying someone to sit there and collect fees, and it will obviously be 24-7-365. The pay tubes work for the Forest Service in remote locations so they should work better for the state or town boat launches because the locations would get eye-balled by the local cops as they roll past.

And, a pay deposit outdoors all-weather security tube can be purchased and installed for short money. Just google forest service fee pay tubes .... . Also, by creating an honor system fee pay process it will enable the vast majority of people to be respectfull of the lake as a public resource. To get respect, you give respect.
Whoa wait just one second.

OK I'm sorry maybe I'm the only one who finds these ideas repugnant, but I vehemantly disagree with the whole concept of charging for such things. Is it me or does the thought of a 2.5 million dollar HQ for the forest service seem just a wee bit excessive?

Access to the national forest should always be free, afterall they already have tax dollars to blow on this stuff. Now we have to pay for access for something we already pay for? Am I the only one that sees a problem here. Now let's compare how things are done here with elsewhere. When I lived in Colorado I could pack up the truck with my camping gear, six shooter and 4wheel wherever I saw fit, pitch a tent, have a fire and spend the weekend for FREE. Why is it free there yet in the White Mtn national forest I have to pay to park, can't camp wherever I want to and deal with all the stupid restrictions that seem unique to this area of the country?

I find it ironic that the state and federal government are spending more and more money and we end up seeing less and less in return. When there are shortfalls the first idea is to just whack everyone cause it's far easier than going back and seeing where all the gobs of money they have at thier disposal is going, no doubt stuffing the pockets of lawmaker's friends and associates.

Same can be said for charging to launch a boat. What the heck is the access fee on my boat registration used for then if I have to pay even more every time I want to use it to access what is supposidly a "public" resource.

I have no problem with spending money to support that which I directly benefit from. Yeah I grumble when I have to shell out for my sled registrations and club memberships every year, but at least the majority of that money is turned right around to support the trails, grooming and maintenance. I can't say the same for my hunting and fishing licenses.

If some crack pot tree hugging whack job flat lander decides to go do something stupid like as already mentioned climb Mt Washington and not go prepared then I find it perfectly acceptable to have them die doing so. The general public should not be forced to foot the bill to bail out or rescue stupidity. If that's where all the money is going then that should immediately stop and we need to go back to the way things used to be, engage in this activity at your own risk or peril.

What is sad about these ideas is that the whole notion of the national parks, state parks and publically owned property was so that everyone could enjoy them, not just those who could afford to. Now we start associating fees with access to these resources and who does it hurt? Those that these places were originally set aside for in the first place, the less fortune. Every time a fee is instituted or raised it prices more people out of that activity. No shocker it's the liberal way...
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: