View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #26
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post

But think of it this way. By this time next year...with gas prices going to $7-$8-$9 per gallon...every week is going to be bike...well bicycle....week, and you won't see as many people up here on vacation, there will be plenty of boat parking at the Naswa...Canoes that is..and lots of people will start moving back to the cities....The tax base will plummet and kids will be back walking to school, as the busses will be too expensive to run.....So, Bike week will be a distant memory in a few years time.
Nahh... It'll be "motor scooter week." They're kind of like motorcycles. Actually I think it'll just start looking more and more like it used to be/always was, and less like the giant it became in just the last few years. And if rail transit keeps up its current upward trend maybe you'll see people loading unloading their motorbikes from flat cars arriving with a mixed pass/freight at Weirs Beach. Or who knows, maybe it'll be all solar power bikes or something, and people will go "oooooh" and "ahhhhhh" when some guy shows off his gas powered bike and he'll get to say something like, "Back then, bikes couldn't even levitate so if you got stuck in traffic, you had to stay on the ground..."

On a more serious note, I did notice the lack of "rumble" from across the water this year. As posted on another thread, several of my friends noticed "How quiet it is on the shore" the first few days of Bike Week. It was easier to hear loons than bikes. The rumble didn't become audible until about Wednesday this year. One other thing I noticed was the rumble quieted down early in the evening compared to before when it used to go until 3 am. I was out driving on Friday and got stuck in lots of Bike Week traffic. I think a lot of people came, but they had stayed home most of the week, probably to keep up with bills and keep food/lodging expenses down.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote