View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #47
ApS

Smile Sunny, with Small, Puffy Clouds—PERFECT !!!

Got back at 2-PM from a 4-hour sail*** in The Broads.

Except for "The Mount" silently approaching me from dead astern , while navigating a clockwise route around the lake , I never saw more than 2 other boats at any time.

(Not counting barges).

***Wanted a 3-hour sail, but the wind was very variable.

ETA, 1.0:
1) It's not typically busy on the lake during a June weekday. The Saturday following, however, there were at least ten boats in sight at one time. (For a 500%-increase in traffic as opposed to a weekday—this was between 10AM-1PM.)

2) Certification is a factor, especially as the wealthiest demographic was the last to require, and attend, certification classes.

3) I expect the National economy to collapse in the long term, but even a short recovery is possible on the lake for the next few years.

ETA, 2.0
June 26th, Friday, update:

Extreme weather is moving in late today but this morning was another sunny June day for boating, and saw about six-to-eight boats at any one time. That's about 400% more boat traffic than on the 16th, a comparable weekday for sunny boating. Because it's a Friday, more boats (than the usual weekday) could be expected.

ETA, 3.0
July 7th, Monday, update:

Saturday and Sunday were too hectic for my accustomed style of boating, but by Noon on Monday, I counted 16 boats within view (at any one time) on my usual stretch of The Broads. (800% increase over June 16th).

ETA, 4.0
July 12th, Sunday, ongoing update:

At Noon, I counted 28 sailboats and a fewer number of powerboats (12 ?) on my usual stretch of The Broads. Is that a 2000% increase over the 16th? :huh:

Good wind, sun, and puffy clouds, again, BTW.

ETA 5.0
July 29, Thursday, ongoing update:

By Noon I'd seen four sailboats (and, at most, 13 powerboats) at one time in the same location.

Only problem was Cap'n B who, with a boatfull, came within 50' of my boat off Ayer's Point marker—then waved!

Nearly calm, hazy sun, few clouds.

Last edited by ApS; 07-30-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Updating the observed Broads boat count for June 2009.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote