View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #324
VtSteve

After reading the many posts on this once old thread, I agree with APS's :::Sigh:::: The thread eventually morphed into an attack and lynch mob mentality about Cobalt. News Flash.....Bowriders have problems of this nature due to the design. Since I've not heard of any catastrophic hull failure, it probably shouldn't have been brought up. If this was a case of stuffing the hull in waves, it certainly wouldn't be the first time, nor the last. I believe this year already another maker, Crownline I believe it was, was being sued because someone riding upfront died as a result of the boat being a bowrider. Must be dangerous, so despite the overload, sue the boat maker.

In cases like these, settlements are common. Why you ask? Because threads and discussions and news articles start appearing like flies on a cow patty. As for Mr. Pascoe's reviews of hull construction? Although they appear to have no bearing on this case from the information known at this time, people should browse his site and other articles about him. He's a great surveyor for sure. Meticulous and knowledgeable. He's mainly interested in ocean type vessels that are larger and more of the cruiser/offshore fishing variety. He thinks Sea Rays are pure crap, as are most vessels in his opinion. From a purist standpoint, he's absolutely correct.

But for those that insist on making this a Cobalt problem, look at your own boats. If you have a bowrider especially, you will sink and swamp faster than my cuddy cabin boat. But if you have most every boat from 21' or over, you will eventually sink given the right circumstances. Cobalt puts more time, effort and money into their boat manufacturing than most brands do. Some of it is pretty anal IMO, but it does make for a pretty great boat. I believe the most boats they made in any one year this decade was around 2500. Hardly a puppy mill amongst boatmakers. Like all companies, I'm sure they've had some problems and a few lemons. But I'll venture a guess that that Cobalt was probably more seaworthy than many poster's boats here, and Mr. Pascoe has some really fine reviews of Sea Rays, including ones much larger than the one that was next to the Cobalt in question. Hint: They use duct tape

I didn't intend to make this a stick up for anyone comment. Just to point out how ludicrous it has become. My first "new" boat was a small bowrider. I vowed that I would never own one again for many reasons, particularly on a large body of water. If a hull comes apart, stern drive falls off, whatever the problem, those are definitely the manufacturer's fault and should be their responsibility. I've not read anything in this thread yet that indicates this was anything other than unfortunate circumstances, and kudos to the skipper and the crew for having an outcome with no fatalities.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote