Thread: Lake walking
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow The wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmbr9 View Post
Im new to area and no expert. But just looking at the lake freeze...it seems the top of alton bay is the last to go...so it must have currents etc. Would love to hear from lake expert. It seems like it should be as solid as anywhere else but why the last to freeze?
I'm no expert but I'd guess it mostly the wind. Quite often the wind blows down the lake and ends up at the south end of the lake. Even a little wind, with all that fetch, will breakup the thin ice when it's forming. Alton bay down, where it flows out under the bridge, will freeze over fairly early in the season and is generally one of the last areas to go ice free.

But there's some variability in what freezes last from year to year. I remember a big hole that didn't freeze at all 2 or 3 years ago. That was off where the Samoset condos are. I'm not sure the area off the Weirs from that year either.