View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #50
kjbathe

Default Bigger Markers?

I didn't re-read the other thread, but it seems we've covered the need for new/larger/more Witches navaids before. And even though SA had this experience and I'm happy that he came out unscathed, I still don't think we need more or larger navaids in that area. And here's why...

Where would it end?

That rocky shoal pre-dates any of us. It wasn't new when the natives first marked it. It wasn't new when it was charted in 1911. And almost 100 years later, it's still not new. I personally don't want some obnoxious, visually-impossible-to-miss, pink-flamingo-topped structure out there dumbing-down and warning folks to avoid something they should already be looking for. That's what charts and a throttle are for.

If we keep trying to make everything idiot-proof, we'll just keep building better idiots. (Not suggesting at all that SA was an idiot -- quite the opposite given everything shared here and the willingness and good spirit in which it was done.) But I groan at the thought there are actually some folks out there who would honestly believe that a state- or federally-funded initiative to blast and dredge the lake to make it free from all boating hazards is really a good idea. Part of the fun of boating is having a healthy respect for, or being afraid of and cautiously exploring, unfamiliar areas. Even the familiar ones.

Just my 2 cents...
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote