Thread: MP - Seriously?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #70
Airwaves

Default Holiday Inn Express!

Okay, here it is Batman. (although you still have not confirmed or denied you are law enforcement or NHMP) It seems according to your boss we are both correct !

I received your question and also reviewed the thread on-line concerning VHF radios/patrol boats/broadcasts. The Marine Patrol currently programs their radios with a number of marine VHF frequencies. Some of our boats are equipped with a separate marine VHF radio but not all. This depends on the ability of the boat to produce the necessary power to support the electronics on board. We have had to prioritize our electronics package and a second VHF is often on the low end of that list.

Our officers on Winnipesaukee are not required to monitor channel 16 (although they may choose to) for a variety of reasons:

1. Our dispatch center monitors VHF 16, and the activity at those centers is recorded so that emergency requests are documented.

2. The radio traffic on 16, especially on weekends, can become overwhelming when an officer is required to constantly monitor police, EMS, and public frequencies.

3. Very few emergency calls are being reported by radio, and we have not received any reports that emergencies have gone unanswered by our dispatchers. Most calls are now received via cell phone through 911 and fewer to our direct emergency lines.

4. There is no guarantee that an officer will hear a report via VHF if their radio is receiving on another channel or if the officer is responding to another call. This would create a very angry boater if they had an expectation that the officer should answer them and he/she continues down the lake.

5. Believe it or not, many times a boater does not know where they are located. If an officer takes the time to work through this important detail over the radio, their response time can be seriously delayed. Our practice is to dispatch the officer to a general area and pass on more detail as it is determined. Unfortunately we rarely respond to specific addresses! J

As for the weather broadcasts, when we receive notification of severe weather warnings, notices are broadcasted to officers and the public. However, if a boater is not within range of our broadcast, or they are on another body of water, obviously they would not be aware of the potential problem. I will add that this holds true for our police frequencies as well. Unfortunately New Hampshire topography can be uncooperative with radio waves. As suggested in the thread, the NOAA broadcasts are the safest source. I know our officers on the seacoast and in the remote areas of the state rely on the VHF wx channels regularly.

I hope this clears up any questions that exist as they pertain to our policies on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Safe Boating!!

Tim Dunleavy
Lt. NH Marine Patrol
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote