Thread: MP - Seriously?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #50
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
VHF radios cost maybe $200 per boat to install. I personally believe every wind or machine-powered vessel should be required to carry one. Handhelds are as low as $40. ... Besides a life jacket, VHF radios are the number one safety device on a boat.
I was going to make a cheap joke about #2 but the mood passed.

Before anyone buys a cheaper handheld, try to view the manual on-line. Some of them are only water 'resistant' not 'waterproof.' I got a Midland version for $60 a few years back and they included a plastic bag to make it completly water-proof.

The bargain versions are better than nothing bit are really more of the toy category than tool category. They make ok scanners if you enjoy monitorring the traffic from ashore. I already had an installed VHF and have since changed to a DSC model so I wasn't trying to get off cheap on my main gear. If it is all a person can afford right now, then get that piece of gear and hope for the best.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...land#post28280

This link is to a thread where I reviewed the item I mentionned. Since then better bargain products have come on the market and I'm sure a good hand-held can be bought for under $100.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote