Thread: MP - Seriously?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #40
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing
I doubt that CC regs, even if they applied to the MP boats would require a separate VHF radio when the on board Motorola carries the marine channels. It is the difference between a clock and a clock radio. The clock radio tells time the same as a clock.

As far as weather warnings, since you have your VHF radio, tune in to WX1 or WX2 for up to date weather. They broadcast all the time, continuously.
Okay so clear this up for me since based on your past posts it appears to me that you may be, or have once been, an officer of the NHMP or MP Auxilary? (Not being nosy but it would explain what appears to be some of your "inside" knowledge?)

First off yes, USCG regulations reguire a VHF radio on commercial vessels and that it be tuned to chanel 16 at all times while underway. Some vessel are also required to carry a second VHF radio tuned to channel 13 (bridge to bridge) and a third SSB radio. This is in addition to whatever company radio might be involved.

The onboard Motorola NHMP vessels carry. You say it carries the VHF marine channels. Do those Motorola radios allow the MP crews two-way communications with recreational/USCG vessels (AirOps) on those channels or are we talking about a boat with a built-in scanner (monitor only) on board?

If they are equipped, do NHMP boats monitor VHF 16 at all times while underway as required by USCG regulation?

As for WX warnings, certainly you can tune your VHF Radio to WX (xx) for the latest, but since boats are required to monitor VHF 16, and older VHF radios don't have a scan feature, it would be NICE if the MP gave boaters a heads up, ya think? USCG Group Portland certainly does, but Group Portland (audible on Winnipesaukee) is concerned about it's own operating area, that does NOT include the Lakes Region of NH.

So, we still have TWO questions pending. Why don't MP boats have VHF Marine radios, and DID the NHMPHQ issue a marine warning broadcast today?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote