Thread: MP - Seriously?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #12
Winnipesaukee

Joanna, I'll take some bashing too.

First of all, if caught in a storm and you have two anchors, I recommend anchoring "Bahama" style with as much scope as possible. It limits swing which assures that the anchors will hold. Not to mention you have two anchors in the ground...

Second, I believe the law says you can break a law if it is reasonably safe to do so, in a case of emergency.

I'm very pro-cop, but it seems that many (but not all) members of the MP have been unwilling to provide boaters any kind of real aid, as evidenced by the OP's post and my experiences with them. I don't dislike them; they just need to tweak their "mission" a bit. Don't they close their doors at 2AM? Don't their boats even lack VHF radios?

I don't subscribe to SeaTow or BoatUS. If I ever need help for whatever reason, I'm sure I can simply give a call on the radio and request assistance, and someone will help me out. I would and have done the same for others. It is considered good seamanship for a boater to assist another if they are in need. I expect MP to be part of that network of seaman-like boaters, but again, doesn't seem to really be the case....