View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #61
bigdog

Default Boating Cert Question

This in response to 'searay220', asking whether a Mass Coast Guard Auxiliary Certificate meets the N.H. Boating Certificate requirements...

I have such a Cert. granted to me several years back. I had Cert. card laminated in plastic, and carry keep on my boat.

To keep a long story short... Last summer I was stopped by the M.P. for the 150' Rule. Oversight on their part. They were approaching me, and I was headed in different direction. Can you say 'entrapment' ! I guess it was a quiet day for them, and they must have been bored ?

In the exchange of Registration, they asked for my NH Boater's Cert. I indicated I didn't have one, but did have a 'Coast Guard Aux. Cert. and handed it over to them. These two M.P. guys couldn't have been much over 21, and looked at my USCG Cert. like two deers caught in the 'headlights' !Guess they never saw one before ?

They called into the M.P. Hdqts for instructions. Apparantly the Commandant told them my USCG Cert. was sufficient training to meet N.H. regulations. They gave me all my paperwork back, and told me to have a 'good day' !

I'm not sure how the office N.H. Boater's Rulebook explains this, but I'm sure there's verbage in there about Cert's. from other Govt. agencies being reciporical.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote