View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
jeffk

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
There is no question that many folks are hurting economically and for some I really do feel sorry for. However I can't help but not really feel to bad for the majority of people out there as many suffer do to their own financial irresponsibility.

Sad thing is for somebody like myself who doesn't make a ton of money, yet manages to put away a substantial amount of savings instead of living beyond my means is going to get screwed paying for all the irresponsible ones.
One theme that seems to keep repeating itself is that I will be talking to someone, friends, family. associates, and they will tell me about some financial hardship they endured. I go "Oh my God, that's too bad". Then the conversation continues and I go "You did WHAT????" and I realize that a large part of their problem they brought upon themselves.

One friend got some stock options from a company and didn't know they were taxable. He used the money to buy his house.The IRS was all over him and he almost lost his house.

I know several people in construction that are wonderful at building things but are extremely poor at tracking their costs and billing appropriately. They went out of business.

My daughter's friend buys a motorcycle and doesn't realize what the monthly payment will be. Takes delivery and gets his payment book. Guess what, HE CAN'T AFFORD IT!!

How many conversations have we had on this forum about how property taxes work and how some could afford the property but are blown out of the water when the taxes go up.

I truly fell pain for all these people. I actually lent money to the friend with the IRS trouble so he could keep his house. But THEY WERE CARELESS AND FOOLISH. Occasionally circumstances will overwhelm even the best of planners but it doesn't happen that often.

I agree with Maxum in that I really get annoyed when people make foolish decisions and then the government pops in and wants to tax me to cover their mistakes. If you never have to cover your own bets why would ever stop gambling?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote