View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #296
Evenstar

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Evenstar, this is where I lose you. There are bays and inlets on Winni just as there are are on the ocean and there are large wide open areas on Winni just like the ocean. So you are free to paddle those bays and inlets on Winni just like the ocean. Why would it be any different facing an off shore power boat a mile off shore in an open area of the ocean just like in the broads on Winni?
Because of the size factor! Winni is not "just like the ocean." I have been on ocean bays that are much larger than the entire lake. A bay on Winni is nothing like the ocean bays that I have kayaked and sailed on. I have spent more time boating on ocean bays than I have on Winni – and I have never once had a close encounter, while on ocean waters, with a high-speed powerboat. Like I said earlier, there’s a LOT more room there. I would kayak on the ocean more except for the fact that my home is 2-½ hours away from the ocean.

Quote:
I think you meet resistance on this forum because your posts appear arrogant and you come off as a know it all who does not want to be questioned and what ever you say is gospel. Did it really matter that I called a recreational kayak a lake kayak? You are participating in these debates and you should expect to be questioned and asked to support your opinions. It takes two to tango as they say. You have questioned and attacked others on this forum. You should stop complaining about it.
I have never attacked another member, except in my own defense. Show me just one instance where I have done otherwise.

Yet I have been personally attacked – often in very personal and hateful ways, and made fun of since my first week on this forum. I don’t mind being questioned – but I do mind constantly being misquoted and having my words taken out of context and used against me. That is wrong. It is also not fair that my explanations are usually either totally ignored or are ridiculed. It is not fair that I constantly have to defend myself, and that I have to constantly repeat myself – that I am repeatedly questioned (sometimes by the same person) about something that I have already explained numerous times.

It is also not fair that I make one post and 5 or 6 other members attack me – and pick apart everything that I write. It is also not fair that my ability, knowledge, age, and experience are constantly under attack and that I have to provide “credentials” for everything. I’ll continue to complain as long as the forum rules are being broken by others – if the rules of these forums were enforced, I would not have to complain.

Quote:
The comment about the name sea kayak was tongue in cheek because previously on this forum speed limit proponents said the name off shore powerboat indicates they belong on the ocean. I was simply applying the same principle (it was a joke). So no, I am not advocating banning them from the lake. You twisted what I said just as you have accused others of doing to your posts.
I have posted numerous times on this forum that I have language issues – due to brain damage. I am extremely literal, am a very open person, and don't really know how to be anything but honest and direct - that's the only way that I can communicate. Your post did not seem like a joke to me – and others here have been serious when they wrote that kayaks should be banned from Winni. When a person is joking, they generally let others know by adding a smilie – since you didn’t, how was I to know that you were joking.

I twisted no part of your post, but responded literally to exactly what you wrote. That is not twisting anything. Others have twisted my words completely.

Quote:
In your last comment you seem to be advocating for banning power boats. Why don't you advocate banning automobiles from the road? Oh, wait, you would not be able to get your kayak to the lake. Seriously though, the new 2and 4 stroke engines are very efficient and clean. you should not worry too much about the impact on the environment.
Now who’s twisting things? I was only talking about environmental reasons, and merely stated that, since “my sea kayak has less of an impact on the environment than any powerboat, so it would make way more sense environmentally to ban powerboat than to ban sea kayaks.” I have stated many times on this forum, including at least once earlier today, that I am not advocating for the banning of any type of boat.