View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #23
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by Bear Islander:
It's not Journalism. It's a "letter to the editor". The opposition could have sent a letter with your bullet points and I bet they would have printed that as well.
I can't find any lies or errors in it. But if it quotes people it should have included the source.
Actually the following comment by the editor makes it journalism since the editor is selling the comments as fact.
Quote:
Editor, The Citizen: WinnFABS (Winnipesaukee Family Alliance for Boating Safety) went back to authorities around the country at lakes where there are speed limits—let's listen to their experience and wisdom and pass House Bill 847, the 45/25 mph boating speed limits for Lake Winnipesaukee:
Now the editor certainly has every right in the world to publish, but a list of unattributed quotes presented as fact is unacceptable and raises questions about the ethics and realiability of the publication.
I don't know who, if anyone, actually uttered those words and under what context. And in that context I don't know how you can write that you can find no lies or errors when you don't know who issued the quotes, or even if perhaps they were written around the table one night at a Winnfabs meeting!

The one quote that was attributed seems to be from a fictitious firm. A google of "Tow USA" shows military pics, a hobby site, aircraft tow bars, apparel, weather forecasts, on line music, scale pilots, a 'speed racer' ad and fly cheap to thialand...that was on page one of google under "tow usa"!

All that calls into question the factual authenticity of that "letter to the editor" that contained such experience and wisdom!