View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #113
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
You mean if there are no high speed accidents

No accidents involving boats that might have left do to a speed limit

So what your saying is...

It's perfectly acceptable for a 300HP family bowrider to have a fatal accident on Lake Winnipesaukee? After all, they would not have left due to a speed limit! WOW! I kinda expect that kind of glib statement from APS, not you!

There have been NO ACCIDENTS ON LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE in the last 5 1/2 years involving a "Boat that might have left due to a speed limit" In fact I find it funny that you guys have to use the sensationalized boating accident that occurred in other states to make your point! Unfortunately the common theme with all the accidents you use as examples is Alcohol Intoxication! I am STILL waiting for you to post an example of a hi-speed boating accident that DID NOT INVOLVE ALCOHOL! Good thing I am not holding my breath!

Quote:
People stop complaining about boat noise
I am pretty sure we already have a law on the books to address boat noise... and it is ENFORCED! How does a speed limit help with noise? Fay's sells thier family bowrider Chapparalls with thru hull exhaust and switchable exhaust (illegal I know, but it doesnt seem to stop Ole Merrill!) so even the family boats make noise!

Quote:
Congestion stops being a problem on the lake
The Lake Winnipesaukee is not congested... there are maybe 8-9 WEEKENDS out of the summer the lake has some busy spots... and they are usally centered around the different town docks... Weirs, Meredith, Alton etc. How is a speed limit going affect congestion? A speed limit will not drastically reduce the number of boats plying Lake Winnipesaukee! In fact its the WinnFabs position that EVEN MORE boats will come to Lake Winnipesaukee if a speed limit were to pass!

Quote:
Wakes stop eroding the shores
The only way to prevent boat wakes from eroding the shoreline is to eliminate boats completely. Is this your suggestion? Regardless of size or HP, every planing hull ever manufactured throws a tremendouse wake while transitioning from displacement to on-plane and viceversa.

Quote:
Kayakers, canoers etc. are no longer afraid to use the lake.
Kayakers & Canoeists have to share the lake with everyone else! Thier fear while real to some of them, is completely unfounded! There have been no incidents of any canoe or kayker being injured from a collision with a powerboat at any speed on Lake Winnipesaukee! The only accident involving a kayak or canoe in recent memory is the one that occurred last year... but ultimately, the kayakers were in the wrong! Paddling at night without a light, and intoxicated is asking for trouble... naked and without a life jacket just compounds the situation! How is a speed limit going to remedy this situation?

Quote:
Water quality stops dropping
If you have an issue with water quality, why not push for a ban on ALL 2-stroke motors on Lake Winnipesaukee? They by far the worse polluters on the lake! Why not campaign for cleaner powerplants in the Midwest to alleviate the acid rain and help restore the lakes PH? I really dont see how using a speed limit to get rid of a few large fast boats only to replace them with a greater number of smaller boats helps the water quality?

Quote:
Children's camps are able to use the lake whenever they wish
Childrens Camps are a great resource, however, ultimately they have to share the lake with everyone else. A speed limit will not enable Childrens Camps to use the lake whenever they wish, especially if as WinnFabs states more boats will come to the lake if there is a speed limit! However, a "CAMP ZONE" NWZ that extends out 300'-500' might just do the trick! There is an idea that doesnt infringe on anybody and protects the children!

Quote:
The loon population rebounds
Unfortunately, the Loon population is not going to dramatically rebound... it really isnt a question about boat wakes or speed, the reality is Loons are terratorial birds, and a nesting pair needs space... traditionally Loons nest in quiet calm coves. Not the place you find speeding Hi-performance boats! Lake Winnipesaukee doesn't have any habitat left for them to nest! People have built on just about evey piece of shoreline on Lake Winnipesaukee. Unless your advocating a building moratorium and taking peoples houses & camps by emminent domain there isnt much that is going to dramatically affect the Loon population on Lake Winnipesaukee. Perhaps your $200,000 space flight money would be better spent by tearing down your camp and converting the property back to its natural state? Maybe the Loons would appreciate it?

Quote:
Families that were staying away come back
Just where are these families supposed to stay? Where are they supposed to put thier boats? There are only a few cottage rental places left as most have been converted to condos. That leaves the expensive hotels like Church Landing, The Inn at Mills Falls, BayPoint, Chase House, NASWA and the Margate. All but two are owned by one company! Most of these places get between $180 -$330 per night during the summer season! How is this affordable to the average family? Especially given the state of the economy and the price of gas! How is a speed limit going to help make a visit to Lake Winnipesaukee more affordable for the average Joe?

Woodsy