View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #57
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Why cares who pays if it was a NON biased poll

Thanks Skip. Glad you got to the bottom of that. I can connect the dots and follow the $$ trail. Chipj29, you are right, it does not claim WinnFabs paid for the poll but others can connect the dots too. The $$ might not make any difference if the poll is not biased.

It's been explained before but let me try to explain it this way:

If my dear elderly aunt were still alive (her family were long time residents of Manchester) she might have been one of those polled. She would have been misled and answered the questions under false assumptions. The poll taker would probably say who he was and that he was conducting a telephone poll.

Then he starts the poll. The bias starts with the set up statement - it is not properly worded

The Script for the poll wording starts:

"Do you favor or oppose a law that would impose speed limits for boats on large lakes in New Hampshire?"

(so there is no confusion, I have stopped quoting and now present my brief summary of the 4 questions and my comments)

That set-up makes it sound like there are NO speed limits on the lake(s) and nothing in the law about reasonable speeds or the 150' law. Only a small percentage of those polled might know what is already in place. Laws are already in place about reasonable speed. What is Marine Patrol having trouble enforcing and how would a 45/25 speed limits help the MP? Not mentioned to those polled.

There were 3 answer choices: Favor, Oppose, Undecided.

The 4 questions all specify a 45mph day and 25 mph night speed limit for boats. The questions:
Do you favor a 45/25 limit? Do you BELIEVE 45/25 will make lakes safer, make lakes more enjoyable, help MP enforce boating laws.

My elderly aunt would sure want safer and friendlier lakes. Help Marine Patrol enforce the law, who wouldn't want that? Sure she would tend to FAVOR the best sounding of the ONLY CHOICES PRESENTED to her. She wouldn't know that there were already speed limits and laws regarding reasonable speed on the big lake.

Obviously do you favor or oppose a law that would impose speed limits for boats MUST mean that speed is not currently addressed. A FALSE assumption to start with. It would HELP the Marine Patrol to impose 45/25 mph speed limits. Did the MP ever say they were in need of this limit to "help" them or is this all an attempt at adding bias to the response to the poll questions?

The funding, the wording - is this really an unbiased poll?

Thanks again Skip. And Chipj, I'm gonna get dizzy from all the upcoming spinning

Sigh... let them vote already and get this over with!

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 04-23-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: I wish I had paid more attention to English Composition in school