View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #63
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Bear Islander please point to the law you speak of. I have searched and I can not find any 500hp limit that was enacted. There was talk of one but I did not see any mention of it in the Alabama Boating Regulations.
Yes, BI please post your source. I cannot find anything on any website and Alabama boaters on another forum never heard of it.

I will tell you that Alabama has these pretty scary limits on some mid-sized lakes:

Beginning October 1, 2006, there is an absolute ban on recreational vessels that are BOTH (a) greater than 26 ft-11 inches and (b) are “rated by the manufacturer for or capable of a top speed in excess of” 60 mph. No exceptions except general exceptions listed in last item below.

Beginning July 1, 2007, there is a general ban on:
(a) “houseboats” (“residence boats” defined under current msd law as “any structure used primarily for habitation located on any waters in the state, floating or supported totally or partially on pilings” and recreational vessels that constitute a fully equipped dwelling similar in content to a mobile home with an msd, galley, and sleeping quarters) and

(b) recreational vessels over 30 ft-6 inches in length, as determined by the straight line distance between the ends of the boat, excluding bowsprits, outboard motor brackets, rudders, or other attachments.

Lucky it only applies to three lakes and they are smaller than Winnipesaukee. It doesn't apply to their bigest lakes.

Thanks BI for reminding me of this:

You raised the call to action to prevent laws like this from coming to New Hampshire. Thanks again.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote