View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default my few cents

Ah dock slips there is always so much advise out there..... my advice is this...

If you are going to buy into a marina:
- see if they have as previously suggested a valet service as an option
- If buying a slip make sure to buy one that will allow for growth... sure you may have 20' now but might you want a 25' in a couple of years... in other words just think a little about what your furture needs may be
- as others have said consider location...
- talk to other memebers of the Marina... some places my have obstacles to getting in and out especially durring the fall when the water is low.

If your going to buy a water front home:
-take sometime go down on the dock and look around on a sunny calm day you can see the bottom and pick out rocks that may be a problem
-ask to talk to the owners about any navagational hazards when approaching the dock.
-check the depth of the water at the dock, and factor in lower levels in the fall to make sure you will have enough depth to get in and out.
- also you will have to take care of and maintain the dock so make sure it is something you can work with....( example being if you have a bad back and don't often have people that can help you, a seasonal sectional dock my not be the best thing).... of course with a few permits and some more money you can always put in a new dock.
-finally if you are real serious about the waterfront home I would not be afraid to ask about bring a canoe down and paddling around on a nice calm sunny day to look around and double check for rocks that may be a hazard.
-if there are rocks close to shore and the dock that may be an issue, and you buy the home make sure you make a good note of where they are, and even put a marker on them for the first few years.... many places around the lake, you will see where people have done this close to there docks with milk jugs....

All in all the bigest piece of advice I think anyone needs is don't get in a rush or let anyone presure you.... when you find the solution your comfortable with you will know it.......