Originally Posted by Skip
Not true!

TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 263
DRIVERS' LICENSES
License Reciprocity
Section 263:39
263:39 Limitation. – The provisions of RSA 263:36-38 shall not be deemed to authorize a person under 16 years of age to drive a motor vehicle on the ways of this state.

While there are federal ramifications for a State not to enter in to reciprocal agreements with other States regarding driver's and vehicle licensing, individual States are still allowed to retain their unique identities within their own respective license codes. In this case, while some States do indeed issue licenses to individuals under the age of 16, New Hampshire law *****s that portion of reciprocity and mandates that all out-of-state drivers be at least 16 years of age and hold a license that was granted as an equivalent to New Hampshire's standards.

There is no such federal strings yet required for boating licenses. Furthermore, after being in contact with both Lt. Dunleavy and the Education Coordinator for the New Hampshire Marine Patrol it has been determined that the current regulations for boating license reciprocity in New Hampshire are clear. The same legal verbiage that requires equivalency testing for motor vehicle licenses also applies to boating licenses. The difference is that according to the officials I contacted above there is no reliable way to verify license issuance and compliance in another State. Therefore the official NHMP policy is to ignore the equivalency portion of the RSA and accept any NASBLA approved certificate.

Unfortunately this is a fully understandable position given the haphazard way boating licensing is being approached at the national level!

Bottom line....reciprocity is not and never has been one hundred percent.
I shudda known Skip would come along and ***** me on that! However my point is still valid, there are things that you can do in NH through reciprocity that are not allowed to NH residents.

Besides my statement is true. A 14 year old with a South Dakota license can drive in NH. They just can't do it legally!
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote