View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #43
Winni Luvr

Default it feels more like home than home....

My Grandparents vacationed at the Lake...My parents honeymooned here...They brought my brothers and myself to the Lake every summer for vacation...I honeymooned with my 1st husband up here.....Took a couple of yrs off to have children...got divorced...got remarried and have been coming up here with my husband & daughters ever since.

Why do I continue the tradition?? I love it here!

The changes up here have been numerous.....For the most part, the cottages are gone except for a few. When I was a child..we always stayed on Paugus Bay, more specifically at the Doll House Cottages....I hated crossing the road there as a young girl...took forever to get across and of course you're standing at the edge of a busy road in your bathing suit by yourself because Mom and Grandma were still doing the lunch dishes and Pop was napping and you couldn't wait any longer to go swimming.......but I digress...good memories though..fishing with my brothers and wondering when the house on the little island would fall in and then it dissappeared finally...I think there was a house or something rebuilt there in later years..

Doll House Cottages turned into Remeber Me Cottages..I think we stayed there a couple of times when the original owners still had it. Then we moved to the Broads...

We've stayed at the Belknap Point Motel which is lovely and in a beautiful area..but sadly not large enough for the family in the summer as the kids get older (but I always take my girls up myself the weekend after Thanksgiving to stay there)

We stayed at the Ellacoya for many years and through different owners...we were very saddened 3 yrs ago when the owners sold and didn't even bother to let anyone know who had reservations for the summer...total shock..and then to find out that the motel was to be torn down for a private residence..
I remember sitting on the dock with an elderly couple from CT that we had been up there the same week vacationing with for several yrs and they were just so sad..It really broke my heart...I guess the cottages are still being rented ...but we stopped going there.....

We stayed by the Weirs in a Townhouse for the last (2) years...but were displaced again as the owners stopped renting it out....

So this year...in less than 2 weeks..we are staying in Meredith in a waterfront cottage for the very first time...and I am very excited. I don't care where we stay on the Lake..as long as I still can go!

No matter what the changes are..I will still want to spend my summer vacation on Lake Winnipesaukee. I get all the "New Jersey" out of me when I come up here. When I take my morning walks, I say hello to folks I pass instead of keeping my head down. I leave the makeup off and enjoy the beauty of the outdoors instead of worrying about what I look like...I don't know what it is...but I can't wait to get up there and be at home again...
Winni Luvr is offline   Reply With Quote