View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
White Rook
Deceased Member

"save you from serious water ingestion damage"

It's called hydrostatic lock. The backwash enters the open flappers and the water flows into the exhaust manifolds attached to the cylinders heads. As the valves move up and down, water enters the cylinders and since you cannot compress liquid, catastrophic engine damage instantly occurs. Things like bent valves, bent or broken piston connecting rods, etc makes for an expensive lesson.

By the way, hydrostatic lock is a common occurrence in automobiles when driving through deeply flooded streets too fast. The water can enter the air duct work for the air filter box and be ingested into the intake manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
John and Diane in the green and tan 21' Crownline fron Channel Marine,

Thanks for giving us a tow to Downing's Landing yesterday when our starter failed at the Alton town docks. I wish I got your last name...

It's half fixed, just need to put get a new starter and new exhaust flappers and put them in this week.

Helpful tip:

If you have an inboard/outboard, inspect your exhaust flappers. It's quite easy to do (at least on a big block Mercruiser) and may save you from serious water ingestion damage. I lucked out and only damaged a $142 starter that I can repair and keep as a spare. Could have easily wrecked the engine.