View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 AM   #3
ApS

Arrow

Option 1) If I was faced with this repair on a vertical surface (and the opposite side wasn't accessible), I'd unravel a long thread from fiberglass cloth or tape and wrap it around the threads until it's slightly fatter than the hole. Cut up some more cloth into very fine pieces and stir it into a separate batch of epoxy resin.

Wearing disposable gloves, put a generous dollop of the above epoxy resin mix into the hole, and spread it around inside the hole with a bent wire or paper clip.

Soak the snap's fiberglass-wrapped thread with clear epoxy, and wiggle the screw (or stud) into the hole and clamp/brace it in place. Put masking tape under the holes to control the excess outside. Any excess epoxy inside helps to hold the snap in place. A small patch of fiberglass cloth should be taped to the backside (if accessible) to strengthen the repair when soaked with epoxy resin. This repair presupposes that a big chunk of deck hasn't been pulled out—then it's on to option two.

Because snaps can be a highly-stressed piece of hardware, I'd use West® epoxy for the best "grab".

As you suggest, this repair would likely have to be done again even if you used the latest optional epoxy wizardry available. (Fillers, thickeners, beads).

Option 2) If the failed snaps are close to one another, you might consider using a saber saw to remove a nearby flat (or slightly curved) section of deck or bulkhead. Then install studded snaps with a washer and nut to hold them in place. You would not have to use epoxy for this repair—or replace the snaps—again.

Then install a 3", 4", 6" or 8" round, watertight, plastic access port ($6+up) to close the access hole. Installing one or a few can be done in one afternoon. Installed with foresight, access to the other snaps, antennae, windshield (or any other accessory hardware) by means of this port is assured for another day. The "pop-in" type are the cheapest and most watertight of the ports available. This port is the "screw-in" type:

Round access ports can be purchased from most marinas having a sailboat inventory. Accessories for these ports are available to keep snacks dry or to keep pollen, spray and dust from sensitive items.

Larger rectangular ports are available, but the round ones are the easiest to install and pretty strong, as they can be walked on.