View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
Bubba

Default Think about it

I am surprised that Senter Cove Guy did not anwer some of the questions. And I guess this is why in some cases, you might want to hire a "professional".

To your direct questions: A) Not all of Winni is sand bottom. There is lots of bottom that is all rock. Quite a bit in fact. Also, if the installer is good, they take that into account, as well as other things such as boat size to be moored. That way the customer doesn't need to buy more than needed. Others don't care. CYA. (No need to go into the mathmatics of suction at this point.)

B) Sometimes you need to understand the details. In the show, they were doing an installation in a "mooring field". It is absolutely critical to get the correct placement. Off of your our personal property, close enough can be good enough.

C) Like driving a car, the more miles you drive, the better the odds of getting into an accident. I don't know of ANY "professional" that would drop a weight with a chain attached. Too dangerous. You may get away with it once or twice. Not worth the chance over time. You have to get in the water anyway. Wait to attached the chain after the weight is set. Also, fouling of the chain under the weight is a possibility.

Sometimes it goes easy. Sometimes not. Anyone can do the easy ones. Then there is liability ...
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote