Thread: Lake Traditions
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #64
Deep Cover

Default So I'm not the only one.....

What a great thread. Now I know I'm not the only one who's completely nuts.

Have you noticed that the longest part of the trip is from the exit from 93 down the 104 to Meredith. I noticed it as a child and now my kids are noticing it. I remember feeling so gratified when they started calling out to each other to look from the top of the hill on Rt 3 to be the first to see the Lake.

The BIG tradition for me is to get everything unloaded and march off the dock. Usually I'm coming from California so my day has been full of planes and lines and car rental agents and whether or not i can remember what the toll is. So I get everything from the dock to the kitchen and into the lake I go. Sans clothes if possible. But this year, i was so glad to get to the island that - my neighbor had brought me over, and as he pulled away from the dock, I just plunged in. Luckily my cell phone was in my purse. And I have to swim down deep to the deepest coldest part I can find. I came back up and floated on my back, staring up at the trees. i must have sighed because my neighbor laughed and said, "That's renewal." ANd it's true, all the cares and frustrations and anger are gone by the time I surface.

I have to say, I admire anyone who can go in the water on ICE OUT or in May. It's like pins.

Well, other traditions include - going through the drawers and rearranging the pictures on the bookcase. It's a great walk down memory lane - you can hear people laughing and singing.

Sweeping out. Checking for carpenter ants. Getting the pine needles off the roof. Discussing for the fiftieth time with my sisters how we really need to get a chimney cap made - although the board and boulder system still works fine.

I try to bake all my bread when I'm here. When we first moved into our cottage (I was three) the kitchen was dominated by a big black cast iron stove. I like to get back to basics.

Having a cup of coffee in the morning sun on the front steps. Having a cup of tea and watching the Lake from the front porch. Looking for the moon as it rises above the point. Taking the boat out to the buoy with a glass of wine and watching the sunrise. Taking the boat out late on a starry night and turning off the lights. STanding on the front porch and going OOO and Ahhh over Weirs fireworks.

I don't cry when I leave, but i do try to take a last look to freeze the image in my mind. I now have a shot of my cabin on my cell phone. I love seeing it, but I'm not sure that I approve of it. Like it's better as a memory? Not clear on this one.

Well, here's to the Lake lovers all of stripes.

SED
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote