View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
"...Of the 102,268 registered boats there were ONLY 45 ACCIDENTS! Of the 45 accidents, only 4 were collisions! THERE WAS ONLY 1 FATALITY (a drowning) and 38 injuries. 2 of the 45 accidents and 3 of the injuries involved alcohol..."
Just how well does New Hampshire compare?

We have the shortest boating season of the surrounding states and the shortest period of open water. Only a dozen weekends comprise "The Season".

If half the weekends are rained-out during a season (like this season was), the accident rate will fall. Can New Hampshire's boater education program take credit for the weather? I'll be betting that they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
"...It is clear that the WinnFabs crowd has specifically targeted the big high performance boats and wants to drive them off our inland lakes and into the ocean..."
That's alleging WinnFABs opinion—but here's what a cruiser website says about high performance boats and a Winnipesaukee speed limit:

Quote:
"Has any one here actually looked at a map of the lake?

"At best there's a nine or ten mile stretch down the middle. At 75, that's a good six minute ride. As most of you know, I'm very much opposed to additional marine regulation. However, just because of the sheer numbers and varieties of boats on inland waters, sometimes a quantifiable limit is a good idea.

"Operating to endanger" is far too subjective and, without a speed limit, virtually unenforcable. Florida has a 25 MPH speed limit on long stretches of the ICW that seems to work well. New Hampshire as a 55 MPH limit on long stretches of I93, as well as minimum speed limits, where all of the vehicles on the road have been inspected and are capable of reaching that speed.

"In my opinion, it would be far better to impose a reasonable speed limit now than wait until a couple of kids in a kayak are killed by someone doing 80 on the lake. Then you'll have the public screaming for a much reduced limit.

"There's an ocean not an hour's drive from the lake. That's a great place to run a boat at 75."

Les Hall, ATC Forum Host