View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 12:05 PM   #18
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post
... Sadly, it does not address a requirement for wakeboats to be 'ballasted' only when 'waking' a skier. I don't have a problem with wakeboating 'proper'. But, I do have a problem with boats going to/from their fun with ballasted boats!; if you can follow what I'm very awkwardly trying to describe.
J
This could be a matter of ignorance, arrogance, indifference, or all three. I was curious as to how long adding or unloading ballast water might typically take, so I did a bit of googling. Here is but one reference of the subject: https://wayneswords.net/threads/surf...en.8314/page-4. The impact of these boats on shorelines and enjoyment of the lake by others is not just on Winnipesaukee.

There can be built-in tanks, filled and emptied by pump, and hard ballast bags (eg. bag filled with steel shot). Many boats apparently are simply built to be heavy and carry a full complement of people and gear. The weight and shape of many of these make a big wake even without filling their ballast tanks. As to fill or drain time, the numbers I saw in my brief search are on the order of 4-10 minutes each way. I can imagine that adding 20 minutes of "down time" to an outing would be too much for the patience of some of these operators.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote