View Single Post
Old 09-14-2023, 11:30 AM   #88
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
About 40 years ago my wife & I rented a place on the west side of Little Bear. In one of our strolls around the island we came across an old camp dump - lots of old bottles and rusted pots, etc. when I returned the keys I asked the owner about it and was told there used to be a summer camp on the island and some of the buildings (at that time) on the west side were the remaking camp buildings.

Does anybody know the name of, or anything about such a camp?
Could have maybe been Camp Alvord Wildlife Sanctuary for girls. I can recall my parents and myself waving goodbye to my then 13-year old, older sister, as she waved back from the Camp Alvord boat as it left the Cattle Landing town dock in Meredith in late June, 1962. About a week later she quit Camp Alvord very early in the season, all stressed out because her Camp Alvord-Bear Island camp cabin had all these big scary, ugly, horrible spiders inside her waterfront camper cabin on the eastern, rising morning sun side of Bear Island which she did not appreciate ...... ..... never to go to any summer camp again ..... boo-hoo! ..... plus their allotted daily time schedule with five different daily periods ..... 1st, 2nd, 3rd, lunch, rest period, 4th, 5th, dinner .... was too regimental for her, or something. ....

From the Lake Winnipesaukee Museum .... www.lwhs.us/his-camps.htm .... info and photos on different, old Lake Winnipesaukee youth summer camps.