View Single Post
Old 09-13-2023, 02:13 PM   #80
camp guy

Default Winnipesaukee Camps Remembered

I can totally understand Donzi Minx reaction to the summer camp era, particularly the statement "vaporize to real estate". I was third generation family at Camp Wyanoke, Winter Harbor, Wolfeboro, and watched the change from a robust summer camp to a well-developed sub-division populated by new residents to Wolfeboro who were curious about the history of the property and took pains to inflict as little change as possible for their development. Of course, the tangible assets of the Camp were gone, and houses were built, but the landscaping was done with a considerable amount of care given to preserving as much as what was there as possible. Camp alumni returning to just look around have remarked about how much they could see that they remembered from when they were a camper or staff member.

The philosophy of using land for its highest value is (probably) true in the economic world, but, as anyone who had ever been to a summer camp, boy or girl, would tell you, the value of summer camp is not in the land, but in the experience gained through being there.

Unfortunately, "experience" doesn't pay the bills, and private, independent summer camps with large acreage and long waterfront were assessed full-value for tax purposes, and this was a burden that many camps could not afford. Those camps associated with charitable organizations that enjoyed substantial tax relief were able to carry on, but many of them, too, fell victim to increases in operating costs, ie, food, insurance, maintenance. Interestingly enough, wages were not a very big factor in summer camp operation. Yes, staff had to be paid, but if you needed a job for the summer, and had to make money, being a summer camp councilor was probably not the right choice.

Personally, do I miss summer camp? - of course, am I glad it is over - reluctantly yes.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote