View Single Post
Old 08-08-2023, 10:55 AM   #39
ApS

Cool Feet vs Cleats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
It's not debatable if your objective is get as good a grip as you can on a potentially slippery surface. Passengers in bare feet always make me nervous; always wear sneakers or boat shoes. No disrespect, but I thought you were a sailor? Aren't bare feet slick on the smooth parts your cockpit and deck?
Most videos I've seen of Pacific Ocean cruisers are barefoot as crews.

Others don't want wet shoes, but I own the specialized shoes (Topsiders) for cruising-class sailboat competition, and don't recall prohibitions--shoes or barefoot.

It's the ocean-racers who don't want shoes to mark their freshly "detailed" surfaces.

When I was invited to view the start of the Whitbread race out of Fort Lauderdale, we sailed on a big trimaran (a Farrier 32, which reached 19mph with a mostly-Jamaican female "crew" of 11). We were asked not to wear shoes, because it was a new rental, and the lessee was concerned for the trampolines in rough waters. Conditions were rough, and the Whitbread fleet set spinnakers and ran away from us!

Upon returning to Miami, a wave tossed me into the air, but it was gravity that put my folded knee through the new trampoline. Assured that insurance would take care of it, I felt better about the 1-foot gash in my calf.

Most of my personal five catamarans, including Tornado had trampolines, so wet shoes didn't work for me. When "on the wire", a tough and long abrasive surface helped to keep footing on the deck; however, the crew was exposed to more injury-inflicting objects (than the skipper) and usually did wear shoes.

I do need to get back to a forum where another member who thinks the US can easily support a population of five billion people. In opposition, should I mention Wolfeboro docks?

With children swimming off our dock, I feel really good about having NO cleats.

Wolfeboro has chosen well.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: