View Single Post
Old 05-20-2023, 10:24 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,388 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I tried calling marine patrol when I thought the people who were saving loons were in trouble. I was directed by their recording to call 911 which I did. It literally took over 10 minutes after being redirected a number of times to talk to a live person and explain what was going on. Had there been a real need for life saving care it never would of happened!

If I had an emergency on the water I would first try and reach a fellow boater / fishermen on VHF channel 12 who would respond and react instantly while dialing 911 at the same time. While I realize 16 is the proper channel to hail, the fact is not everyone monitors that channel…yes I know you’re supposed to but the fact is many don’t. To put it bluntly, calling 911 sucks in an on water emergency and Marine Patrol only answers the phone during their normal working hours...

Dan
You used to call and get Gilford. Now who knows where there are, but I know when I called a couple years ago, the dispatcher was not familiar with the lake, let alone a certain area.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote